HOW TO DECORATE A WINTER CAKE
Chocolate Cake- Matchbox Kitchen
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup + 3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour two 6” round cake pans.
2. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together on medium high speed until lightened and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Measure out buttermilk and add in vanilla extract. Add a third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low until it just comes together, no more than 30-45 seconds. Add half of the buttermilk, then mix again on low. Continue to alternate the wet and dry ingredients, ending with dry. Gently fold in mayonnaise.
4. Divide batter evenly (use a scale if you have one) into the two pans and bake for 25 minutes without opening the oven. Rotate pans and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes. The cake is done when a skewer come out clean and the cake is barely starting to separate from the sides of the pan.
5. Remove from oven at let cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto cake racks. Once cooled completely, securely wrap each cake in plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
1. Once you add flour, do not over mix. Doing so will activate the gluten, which will make your cake less soft and tender.
2. It is okay to very slightly undertake chocolate cake, with a few crumbs left on the skewer.