Ca Kho To- Vietnamese Caramelized Fish
* 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, grated (peeled, frozen ginger is easy to grate)
* 2-3 small shallots, minced (about 3/4 cup)
* 1-3 Thai chiles (depending on your heat tolerance/preference), thinly sliced
* 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
* 2 Tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
* 1 Tablespoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 cup water
* approx 1 pound thick fish filet of your choice
* 6-8 green onions, sliced on the diagonal into approx 1/2-inch lengths
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, shallots and Thai chiles. Cook for several minutes, until softened.
Combine the fish sauce, both sugars and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to mix. Pour into the skillet and stir to coat. Bring to a boil for a minute or two and then add the water. Adjust heat to a low simmer for a minute or two. Gently place the fish filets in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip cover the fish and cook for a couple additional minutes, until the sauce is thick and the fish is just cooked through. Sprinkle on the green onions.
Remove from heat and serve with rice.